Your brain requires a consistent fuel supply to function properly. Diet and lifestyle habits play an important part in maintaining brain health. External factors also have an impact on brain function and focus. Stress and increased usage of screen time on devices are negative contributors to cognitive wellness. A diet rich in nutrients is one way to boost brain health and improve focus. Continue reading to learn how you can incorporate these tips into your daily life.
Foods to Support a Healthy Brain
Certain foods contain high levels of nutrients to help keep your brain healthy. Including these foods as part of a healthy diet can support alertness, memory, and mood.* Below are just a few food sources that can support brain health. Drinking coffee and tea could also be included on this list.
• Fish: When people think of foods which are considered ‘brain food’ often their first thought is fish. Fatty fish like salmon, trout, tuna, and sardines are sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are a major building block of the brain and help with memory.*
• Blueberries: Deeply colored berries, like blueberries, have many health benefits specifically for the brain. Blueberries contain anthocyanins which promote a healthy response to inflammation and act against oxidative stress.* Reviews show blueberries can improve memory and some cognitive processes in both children and adults.*
• Nuts: A variety of nuts carry brain-boosting nutrients such as Vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients are beneficial to brain health by improving memory, protecting against free-radical damage, and increasing cognitive response.*
• Broccoli: Leafy vegetables, particularly broccoli, are full of vitamin K which has been shown to improve memory and cognitive status.* Broccoli is also packed with powerful plant compounds which can play a vital role in maintaining the brain’s chemical balance.
Nutrients for a Healthy Brain
Studies show that supplements can be beneficial in supporting brain and cognitive health.* This is especially true for older adults, people with certain medical conditions, and those following restrictive diets.* The nutrients below may help to boost brain function and increase focus.*
• Vitamin E: protects cells from free radical damage associated with oxidative stress which the brain is susceptible to.* High levels of vitamin E have been shown to benefit cognitive performance.*
• Vitamin B: supports mental performance, relieves stress, and reduces symptoms of anxiety.* Many adults are vitamin B deficient. Having the recommended amount of vitamin B in the diet can improve cognitive function.*
• Turmeric: promotes a healthy inflammatory response which can benefit brain wellness.* The antioxidant properties in turmeric supports memory and enhances mood.* Studies suggest that curcumin, an active ingredient found in turmeric, boosts healthy cell growth in the brain to improve memory.*
• Magnesium Glycinate: benefits mental health by acting as a mood booster and stress reducer.* Because magnesium glycinate is easily absorbed, it can aid in falling asleep and getting deeper rest.
Increase Focus and Support Cognitive Wellness
Nature’s Lab offers high-quality nutrients, backed by scientific research, to support overall brain wellness. Whether you are looking for adaptogen herbs such as ashwagandha that combat brain fog, or antioxidants like resveratrol and l-theanine, you can find a variety of supplements to promote cognitive wellness from our Brain Health Collection.*
Keep your child’s development on track as well with the new Nature’s Lab Children’s Calm & Focus. The formula was developed using the latest in scientific research and is free of artificial ingredients, colorings, and preservatives. The chewable tablets promote a calmer mind, improved focus, and enhanced clarity.*
• Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE): an organic compound produced naturally in the body. DMAE supports brain function and shows positive effects against a variety of cognitive disorders.*
• Phosphatidylserine: a fatty substance that protects the cells in your brain, helps improve memory and cognitive function.*
• Inositol: a natural compound that affects the neurotransmitters in the brain and helps to balance serotonin and dopamine to boost mood.*
Shop our full collection of brain health & memory supplements.
Short-term curcumin supplementation enhances serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor in adult men and women: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed (nih.gov)